There’s a misconception that Mexican food is all about high-calorie dishes loaded with salty meats and covered in nacho cheese and sauces. This couldn’t be farther from the truth! Real, authentic Mexican food is fresh, delicious and full of nutrition. Being dense in super-healthy vegetables, avocado and beans, for example, many dishes and snacks actually support a healthy diet and weight loss.
In fact, an authentic Mexican diet is mostly vegetable, plant, grain, bean and corn-based using fresh and nutritional ingredients. Chillis, which are a key feature in most dishes, contain up to seven times the vitamin C level of an orange. They are also recognised to aid digestion, muscle, joint and nerve pain, and are packed full of vitamins A, E.
Here are some tips on how to make your Mexican inspired fiesta healthier:
- Substitute cheese and sour cream with guacamole - a healthy fat that doesn’t rack up too many calories.
- Black Beans, Kidney Beans and Pinto Beans are full of healthy fibers, they can be used as substitutes in a variety of delicious dishes. A bean burrito is a healthy Mexican replacement for a beef and cheese burrito.
- Select a fresh salsa verde, fresh chunky salsa or salsa guacamole dip as a starter, topping, garnish or side. They are fresh, flavorful, low-calorie and a good source of lycopene which is an antioxidant!
- Use yellow corn tortillas or white corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas.
- Choose healthier foods such as: chicken fajitas, veggies fajitas, and barbacoa for your tacos
These useful tips will help you enjoy some healthier options. La Mexicana provides home delivery of all the healthy ingredients you need for a balanced meal.